Design for Manufacturing (DFM) is a critical part of the product development cycle and something we’ve focused on growing our expertise in here at GW Martin.

In this article, we explore why DFM is such an important part of the process, including its impact on everything from costs to quality.

What is Design for Manufacturing (DFM)?

Put simply, Design for Manufacturing is the process of designing parts, components and products for ease of manufacturing. The end goal is to make a better product at a lower cost.

Some of the general principles of DFM include:

  • Simplifying the design of parts for quick and efficient assembly
  • Reducing the number of parts required
  • Standardising materials and components
  • Minimising the manufacturing operations required during assembly

At GW Martin, we have the in-house capability to take your design drawings and ensure they represent the most cost-effective and viable solution to manufacturing your component. We always work closely with our customers to reduce costs and achieve outstanding results.

Factors considered during DFM

Several factors are taken into consideration during DFM to ensure a high quality end product. These include:

  • Process: Optimising the product and production line to ensure a strong product
  • Design: Simplifying designs to help cut inventory and waste, saving businesses time and money
  • Materials: Carefully selecting materials, considering properties such as heat resistance, flammability, mechanical strength or moisture resistance
  • Sustainability: Addressing eco-conscious concerns by exploring the use of eco-friendly materials and reducing waste
  • Compliance: Ensuring correct manufacturing processes comply with industry standards for safety and quality

Benefits of DFM

Enhancing product quality

DFM is crucial for quality control and improving the quality of the product. The DFM process ensures that any changes, especially those aimed at lowering component costs, do not compromise product quality.

Increase efficiency

As part of streamlining product processes, minimising assembly steps and preventing line shutdowns in DFM, businesses are able to increase efficiency, ultimately leading to reduced costs over time.

Standardisation

Using standard components instead of custom ones, reduces the cost of producing bespoke parts while maintaining quality.

Reduce costs

DFM goes a long way to help reduce costs, from making cost efficiencies in material selection, reducing inventory and waste, to minimising production costs and simplifying designs.

An estimated 70% of product manufacturing costs are derived from design-based decisions, such as materials and manufacturing methods. The remaining 30% comes down to production decisions, like process planning and tool selection. By optimising these areas, you can significantly reduce your costs.

Quick to market

Streamlining designs and processes during DFM means you can reduce time to market and gain a competitive edge. Simplifying designs can be an easy way to cut extensive inventories, which will also save time and money.

Scalability

Considering DFM from the beginning of the product development cycle reduces redesign work and improves product quality. By ‘challenging’ the initial designs, you’re able to resolve any potential issues that can come up while scaling from prototype to production.

Sustainability

Businesses and consumers are becoming much more eco-conscious and many are choosing their suppliers based on their commitment to sustainability. We can help clients to look at sustainable materials, as well as reduce raw material usage, waste and energy.

As part of our commitment to reducing our own carbon footprint, our environmental performance is controlled through an Integrated Management System, which is certified to ISO 14001:2015. We have also invested in solar power generation and installed energy efficient LED lighting, and continue to strive to reduce waste. Currently, over 90% of our waste is recycled.

For a trusted precision manufacturing partner specialising in DFM, call our expert team on 023 8064 2922 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Published in GW Martin News

gwmartinfooter.fw

7 Bishopstoke Road,
Eastleigh, Hampshire,
England, SO50 6AD.

TEL: 023 8064 2922
EMAIL: sales@gwmartin.co.uk

instagram  twitter  youtube

Website Terms & Conditions. Privacy Policy.

Copyright © 2016 GW Martin & Co Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Registered Office: Ashleigh, Lakewood Close, Chandlers Ford, Hampshire, SO53 1EY
Registration No: 686373

window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; function gtag(){dataLayer.push(arguments);} gtag('js', new Date()); gtag('config', 'G-EV5GFRP6SQ');